Furthering your education couldn’t be easier – now you can study 100% online with UWC
The University of the Western Cape is a national university, alert to its African and international context as it strives to be a place of quality and a place to grow. It is committed to excellence in teaching, learning, research, nurturing the cultural diversity of South Africa, and to responding to the needs of a society in transition in critical and creative ways.
Drawing on its proud experience in the liberation struggle, the university is aware of its distinctive academic role in helping build an equitable and dynamic society. In particular, it aims to:
- Advance and protect the independence of the academic enterprise.
- Design curricula and research programmes appropriate to its southern African context.
- Further global perspectives amongst its staff and students, thereby strengthening intellectual life and contributing to South Africa’s reintegration into the world community.
- Assist educationally disadvantaged students to gain access to higher education and succeed in their studies.
- Nurture and use the abilities of all in the university community.
- Develop effective structures and conventions of governance, which are democratic, transparent and accountable.
- Seek racial and gender equality, and to contribute to helping the historically marginalised participate fully in the life of the nation.
- Encourage and provide opportunities for lifelong learning through programmes and courses.